It’s rare to hear things that inspire awe these days, but recently I did @ a Chris Tomlin concert I attended in my hometown of Atlanta. I hope this blesses you as it did me. Our English language can at times be very flat/limiting. Example: we love pizza, and we love God. But we all know there’s no way God and Pizza can even begin to compare. There are different levels and types of love (agape–the highest form of love, the God kind of love), (Philadelphia—brotherly love), (Eros— desire, erotic kind of love).
Now back to the Word(s) that literally took my breath away! Made me truly appreciate the Hebrew language that much more. So the English word “praise” is so general, it cannot even begin to capture the depth of the 7 different ways our Hebrew brothers and sisters apply this concept. Read this and see if it does not forever change how you view and engage God in worship!! This again, I insist is the reason why our amazing God is undisputed, uncontested, unmatched and unquestionably #1 : ) I love HIM!
- Yadah: worship with extended hand. Lift your hands to the LORD. Absolute surrender “pick me up, I’m all yours”.
- Halal: hallelujah, to make a show, to boast, to celebrate, to rave of the LORD, to shine, to stultify (make a fool of oneself)
- Tehillah: a spontaneous new song. Unrehearsed song. Erupting from the great deeds and attributes/qualities of God
- Towdah: praise as a sacrifice before reception of an answer. Agreeing with God that it is as He says it is. Lifting up my right hand right into God’s extended right hand. Agreement in faith. Trust.
- Zamar: music accompanied with instruments, strings, striking the fingers, drums—O’ my….
- Barak: to kneel, to bless, to bow in the presence of a King. Adoration!
- Shabach: volume, triumph, loud adoration… a holy Roar!!! To SHOUT (your whole being; totally uninhibited)
I can’t hear you…………………….. !!! Say what you want, but I hope you will never again stand like a tree with arms folded during worship, or look down on those who Shabach and Stultify : )
Let EVERYTHING that has breath : ) Praise the LORD…………………………
For HIS glory!